Sunday, November 7, 2010

PB, PB, PB!

WOW what a great fall!

I spent the summer training for my first marathon. I continued to do my interval workouts through my training but was really focused on endurance. When I crapped out at 39km, 3km short of my goal, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have finished my first marathon, I am not happy with my time. I am happy to say that all that work has not gone to waste.

I really thought all that distance was going to kill my shorter times. I signed up for a 10km 4 weeks after my marathon (which I figured would be a recovery run). I PB'd at the distance.

So I also signed up for a 5km which means a lot to me. The 2nd annual RememberRun in Preston. The start of the race (outside of the legion) was after 2 minutes of silence with bagpipes...a touching tribute for our veterans. As I had also signed up for the Road2Hope half marathon I was planning on running this at a slow 5km pace. Needless to say I was feeling really strong and ended up running faster that I expected. As I finished with a PB and a little gas left in the tank I was really surprised, and a little worried I may have hurt my half the next day.

Headed down to Hamilton early today as I was carpooling with my friend/mentor/coach John Carson who was running the full. Went into this race feeling really strong and ran that way through the entire race! I took nearly 14 minutes off my PB from the year before!

So in 2 weeks I hit my PB in the 5 and 10 and in one weekend I hit PB's in the 5 and the half. My running has never felt stronger. I am looking forward to doing around the bay in the spring and trying to get under 20 minutes in the 5km....I mean we all have to have a goal right?

M

1 comment:

  1. I reiterate: we expect a course record or two now that you've blasted all your personal goals. :)

    I know exactly what you're going through; I also expected setbacks when the exact opposite happened. I set the ridiculous (for me) goal of 4 marathons in 2009, and pr'd on the second last and again on the last. Superhuman speed is not out of reach!!

    ReplyDelete